Hemp Growers Need To Be Aware Of Regulatory Changes

This growing season marks the first year of commercial hemp production in Indiana. As a reminder, hemp growers do not need to design a research project to obtain a license, but that does come with some other requirements.

The software that was developed for Office of the Indiana State Chemist, Mi-Corporation, must be used to apply for or make any changes to a license. Making changes to a license application that was already approved does come at a $50 cost. Growers need to make sure their registered site will still be their production location.

Growers will need to register their hemp site with their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office. There seems to be confusion between growers and some FSA offices on what this actually means. All hemp growers must contact FSA and report their crop AFTER it has been planted. FSA has a crop acreage reporting sheet that explains what a cultivator will need to report crop acreage (https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FSA-Public/usdafiles/FactSheets/2019/crop-acreage-reporting-19.pdf). In addition to the information found in the link, hemp cultivators will also need to provide their hemp license or license number.

By July 15 the FSA field and subfield number must be entered into the Mi-Corporation software for each variety grown on each plot. OISC has made a video on how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6ExnWcF7o&feature=youtu.be

If there is any issue or push back from a local FSA office, please contact Don Robison (drobiso@purdue.edu) and provide the county office and any details of the issue. This is a USDA requirement and a high priority at the federal level.

FSA Office Locator Tool https://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app?state=in&agency=fsa

Share This Article
It is the policy of the Purdue University that all persons have equal opportunity and access to its educational programs, services, activities, and facilities without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability or status as a veteran. Purdue is an Affirmative Action Institution. This material may be available in alternative formats. 1-888-EXT-INFO Disclaimer: Reference to products in this publication is not intended to be an endorsement to the exclusion of others which may have similar uses. Any person using products listed in this publication assumes full responsibility for their use in accordance with current directions of the manufacturer.
Pest&Crop newsletter - Department of Entomology Purdue University 901 Mitch Daniels Blvd West Lafayette, IN 47907

© 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Pest&Crop newsletter

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact Pest&Crop newsletter at luck@purdue.edu.