Rick E. Foster
Professor, Pest Management, Vegetable and Fruit Crops
Coordinator: Extension Entomology
Appointment: 70% Extension, 30% Research
Department of Entomology
901 W. State Street
West Lafayette , IN 47907-2089
Rick Foster received his B.A. degree in Biology from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, his M.S. degree in Entomology from the University of Illinois, and his PhD degree in Entomology from Iowa State University in 1983. Dr. Foster served as Vegetable IPM Coordinator at Cornell University and as an Assistant Professor of Entomology at the Everglades Research and Education Center (University of Florida) at Belle Glade, FL before joining Purdue University in 1988. He is an Extension Entomologist and Professor in the Department of Entomology. Dr. Foster has responsibilities for extension and applied research related to arthropod pests of fruits and vegetables. He is the author of numerous research and extension publications related to managing pests of fruits and vegetables and is co-editor of the book, Vegetable Insect Management. Dr. Foster served as the Indiana SARE coordinator from 2003-2007 and currently serves as Purdue University IPM Coordinator. Dr. Foster has received the Eric G. Sharvelle Distinguished Extension Specialist Award and the North Central Branch Entomological Society of America Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension.
- Foster, R. and B. Flood. 2005. Vegetable insect management. Meister Media Worldwide, Willoughby , OH . 264 pages.
- Foster, R., G. Brust, and J. Palumbo. 2005. Watermelon, muskmelon, and cucumber. Pages 198-216 IN Vegetable insect management. Meister Media Worldwide, Willoughby, OH .
- Flood, B., R. Foster , B. Hutchison, and S. Pataky. 2005. Sweet corn. Pages 38-63 IN Vegetable insect management. Meister Media Worldwide, Willoughby , OH .
- Gerber, C.K., C.R. Edwards, L.W. Bledsoe, J.L. Obermeyer, and R.E. Foster . 2004. Sampling devices and decision rule development for Western Corn Rootworm ( Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) adults in soybean to predict subsequent damage to corn in Indiana . IN Western Corn Rootworm: Ecology and Management. CABI Publishing, Oxfordshire, UK .
- Noussourou, M., R. Foster , and J.S. Caldwell. 2003. Dynamique des populations de Nisotra uniformis, Nisotra dilecta et de leurs predateurs sure Hibiscus sabdariffa au Mali . Etudes et Recherches Saheliennes 10: 39-46.
- Hill, T.A., and R. E. Foster . 2003. Influence of selected insecticides on the population dynamics of diamondback moth (Lepidoptera: Plutellidae) and its parasitoid, Diadegma insulare (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae), in cabbage. J. Entomol. Sci. 38: 59-71.
- Hill, T. A. and R. E. Foster . 2000. Effect of insecticides on diamondback moth (Lepidoptera: Plutellidae) and its parasitoid, Diadegma insulare (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae).J. Econ. Entomol. 93: 763-768.
- Noussourou, M., R. Foster , J. S. Caldwell, and Y. O Doumbia. 2000. Inventaire des enemies de Nisotra dilecta (Dal) (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) ravageurs d'hibiscus sabdariffa (L) au Mali . Etudes et Recherches Saheliennes 4: 115-121.
- Yatsukh, K. I., N. I. Svereda, R. Edwards, and R. Foster . 1999. Resistance of potato varieties to late blight. Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences, Scientific – Technical Bulletin, Institute of Agriculture and Animal Biology, Issue 1(1), 22-27.
- Brust, G.E. and R.E. Foster . 1999. New economic threshold for striped cucumber beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae in cantaloupe in the Midwest . J. Econ. Entomol. 92: 936-940.
- Stanyard, M. J., R. E. Foster , and T. J. Gibb. 1998. Population dynamics of Amblyseius fallacis (Acari: Phytoseiidae) and European red mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) in apple trees treated with selected acaricides. J. Econ. Entomol. 91: 217-225.
- Hill, T. A. and R. E. Foster . 1998. Influence of selective insecticides on population dynamics of European red mite (Acari: Tetranychidae), apple rust mite (Acari: Eriophyidae), and their predator, Amblyseius fallacis (Acari: Phytoseiidae) in apple. J. Econ. Entomol. 91: 191-199.
- Brust, G. E., R. E. Foster and W. Buhler. 1997. Effect of rye incorporation, planting date, and soil temperature on seedcorn maggot (Diptera: Anthomyiidae) damage to muskmelon transplants. Environ. Entomol. 26: 1323-1326.
- Foster, R. E. and G. E. Brust. 1997. New approaches to cucumber beetle and bacterial wilt management in cucurbits in the midwestern United States . Recent Res. Devel. in Entomol. 1: 59 - 71.
- Stanyard, M. J., R. E. Foster , and T. J. Gibb. 1997. Effects of orchard ground cover and mite management options on the population dynamics of the European red mite and Amblyseius fallacis (Garman) in apple. J. Econ. Entomol. 90: 595-603.
- Brust, G. E., R. E. Foster , and W. Buhler. 1996. Comparison of insecticide use programs for managing the striped cucumber beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in muskmelon. J. Econ. Entomol. 89: 981-986.
- Brust, G. E. and R. E. Foster . 1995 . Semiochemical-based toxic baits for control of striped cucumber beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in cantaloupe. J. Econ Entomol. 88: 112-116.
- McHugh, J. J. and R. E. Foster . 1995. Reduction of diamondback moth (Lepidoptera: Plutellidae) infestation in head cabbage by overhead irrigation. J. Econ. Entomol. 88: 162- 168.
- Foster, R. E. , and G. E. Brust. 1995. Yield and harvest date effects of insecticides for control of cucumber beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in watermelons. Crop Protection 14 (8): 619- 624.
- Marenco, R. J., R. E. Foster , and C. A. Sanchez. 1992. Sweet corn response to fall armyworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) damage during vegetative growth. J. Econ. Entomol. 85: 1285- 1292.
- Foster, R. E. and C. A. Sanchez. 1988. Effect of Liriomyza trifolii (Diptera: Agromyzidae) larval damage on growth, yield, and cosmetic quality of celery in Florida . J. Econ. Entomol. 81:1721-1725.
- Foster, R. E ., J. J. Tollefson, J. P. Nyrop, and G. L. Hein. 1986. Value of adult corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) population estimates in pest management decision making. J. Econ. Entomol. 79: 303-310.