Your browser does not support JavaScript!

IPM TECHNICAL RESOURCE CENTER

Integrated Pest Management for Schools and Childcare Facilities

Adminstrators - Why Use IPM in Schools - Text Only Version


Why Use IPM in Schools?

Pests infesting public schools and childcare facilities, as well as the unrestricted use of pesticides to control pests, may potentially expose children to health risks. Research shows that children are more sensitive to pesticide exposure than adults. Their growing bodies take in more food and water per pound of body weight than do adults. Also, young children are more likely to encounter pesticide residues by crawling, exploring, or hand-to-mouth activity. Because kids spend so much time in schools and childcare facilities, it just makes sense to reduce their potential exposure to pesticides as much as possible. IPM programs are more effective than routine pesticide sprays because they take into account pest biology and behavior and utilize every available strategy to limit pest populations. The effectiveness of pesticide treatments depends upon other factors such as the level of sanitation and the exclusion practices in place. When all of the components of IPM are used, the need for pesticide treatments is greatly reduced.


The following links will direct you to the main pages of text-only areas of this site. From the main page of each area, you can visit all area topic pages. Click the "Back" button on your browser to return to the main area page. Pest Management Practices | Administrators | School Staff | Teachers | Students | Parents | Pest Management Professionals