Saturday, July 20, 2013
Indiana State Fair
August 2 - 18, 2013
Purdue Day: Friday, August 9
Bug Day: TB
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Department of Entomology
Insect Educational Outreach
Presentations & Programs
Educational Outreach at Purdue University - The primary goal of outreach at Purdue is to promote science education using insects and other arthropods.
Click here for An Overview of Educational Outreach at Purdue University.
To request a program, please fills out the Entomology Tours and Talks form.
Insect (And Other Arthropod) Presentation Topics: Requested topics may include but are not limited to the following:
- Bug in a Bag - Entomology Department members take our insects on the road to present insect related programs away from the Purdue University campus. These programs introduce people of all ages to insect biology and ecology. Programs are frequently brought to schools, museums and zoos, festivals, and community and regional events.
- You Design It - Faculty, staff and students from the Entomology Department will work with you to design a presentation that focuses on the specific needs of your group or classroom. Possible topics are as follows: classification and diversity of insects, the ecological role of insects in the environment, insects in poetry and music, metamorphosis or the threat of invasive species.
- Insects as Food - Looking for a different kind of snack? Faculty and students from the Entomology Department can be scheduled to bring the Insects as Food demonstration to your elementary, middle school and high school. Discussion topics range from the nutritional value of insects to governmental regulation of food products.
Presentation Rates and Policies
- Presentations are $50 for first presentation (approximately one hour) with additional fees ($25 - $50) added for subsequent programs. In addition, there will be a fee of $50 per hour for associated travel expenses (car rental and mileage). Mapquest will be used as a guide to calculate travel time.
- The Department of Entomology does not charge for county-wide 4-H affiliated presentations. There is no presentation fee for Purdue affiliated group presentations; however, transportation costs will apply.
- The Department of Entomology provides presentations and programs for Grades 3 - 12.
- The Department of Entomology does not provide or loan living insects or preserved specimens of insects to individuals or organizations.
The Department of Entomology at Purdue University:
"A commitment to a better future through insect science, research, education, and outreach."