|Compliance Agreement for Operators of Sawmills
Ash logs are an important commodity of hardwood forests in the Northeast.
Signers of this agreement are authorized to accept ash logs from a quarantined area to process the material in ways that will remove EAB from the finished products.
- The regulated materials that the sawmill accepts must either be debarked and slabbed, or kiln dried within the timeframe specified by the agreement.
- The sawmill operator must store ash logs separately from other logs until processing and disposal of ash waste are completed. None of the waste items from ash processing can be sold as firewood.
- To ensure that the beetles will be destroyed before they can emerge, the mill operator can only accept ash logs between October 1st and March 31st. The operator may not accept regulated material from April 1st through September 30th.
- All processing and disposal of debris must be completed by April 30th of each year to ensure that no EAB adults emerge in the spring.
- Regulating agencies can inspect regulated articles, monitor inspection procedures, and examine shipment, treatment, and related records at any time they wish. All records must be maintained for at least 36 months.
For a sample copy of a Compliance Agreement for Operators of Sawmills, click here (PDF).
Back to Quarantine Information